Pay attention at Ottawa intersections
Despite a significant increase in the number of vehicles on the roads, The City of Ottawa has declared their roadways among the safest in Canada. Thousands upon thousands of cars, trucks, motorcycles, cyclists, and pedestrians make their way through Ottawa’s intersections on a daily basis. Although intersections are designed to be safe, their busy nature can lead to them being extremely hazardous. Therefore intersections require maximum concentration at all times.
Many people fail to realise the dangers that intersections pose but did you know that according to statistics posted by The City of Ottawa, some intersections are more dangerous than others?
This list ranks Ottawa’s intersections with the highest number of collisions during 2018.
- Bank St & Heron Road
- West Hunt Club Rd & Riverside Dr
- Carling Ave & Kirkwood Ave
- Innes Rd & Tenth Line Rd
- Greenbank Rd. & Strandherd Dr
- Merivale Rd. & West Hunt Club Rd
- Innes Rd & St & Laurent Blvd
- West Hunt Club Rd & Woodroffe Ave
- Donald St & St. Laurent Blvd
- Prince of Wales Dr & West Hunt Club Rd
During 2018, The City of Ottawa Road Safety Report stated that there were 14,484 reported collisions on Ottawa’s roads. When broken down, this number represents 27 deaths and over 3,400 people hurt in collisions.
What do you do after a motor accident?
There’s no correct order to the steps you take when involved in a collision. It depends heavily on the seriousness and location. However, there are vitals steps that you should always adhere to.
- Stop! If your vehicle is involved in an accident and you fail to stop, you could be subject to criminal prosecution.
- Call the police
- If anyone is injured.
- If the total damage to all the vehicles involved appears to be more than $2,000,
- If you suspect that any of the other drivers involved are guilty of a criminal offence (e.g. impaired driving.
The 911 operator will instruct you on what do until the police arrive.
Reckless and careless drivers should be held accountable for their negligent actions. If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident, you likely have many questions and that’s why we offer a free consultation with our accident lawyer. At MG Law we walk you through the entire process and work to get you the settlement you deserve.